Nola

Nola

Shopping for Porcupine: A Life in Arctic Alaska - Seth Kantner This book describes the transition from dog sled life to snowgos within the author's lifetime of growing up and living in northwest Alaska. The lifestyle he describes, then and now, is truly, as the book cover says, "an Alaska most of us will never know." The poignancy and dilemmas of modernity in rural Alaska are clearly felt after reading Kantner's stories of the old life and then the new. I don't know why, but for some reason, I had been put off by the title of the book and didn't want to read it until I saw Seth Kanter and Nick Jans speak. In the talk, I heard the quiet self-deprecating humor that also shows in his book. With Kanter, the self-deprecation provides a nice balance to his obvious knowledge and ability to survive in a terribly harsh climate. It is also nice to hear of Michio Hoshino from an interior perspective after reading Lynn Schooler's book about him from a southeast perspective. The photographs are simply stunning. They convey the vastness of the land in a way that is not easy to do with a photograph. There is a lot to think about after reading this book.